Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Talib Kweli - Prisoner Of Conscious ALBUM REVIEW





Conscious hip hop. There are many ways to define it. Most just see it as positive hip hop with meaningful messages. With mainstream/radio hip hop in full control today, it seems as though conscious hip hop has taken a back seat and doesn't get talked about as much. Well fans of it, including myself refuse to believe this. Here we have Talib Kweli with a new project to show that this form of hip hop is still alive and kicking. Since 2000, Kweli has been one of the biggest names in conscious hip hop. You can even go back further than that to his days as a member of Black Star with Mos Def in the late 90's. He's also recognized by peers and true hip hop heads as one of the best lyrical MC's in hip hop today. We all can remember that classic track "The Blast" from the 2000 album Train Of Thought which was with producer and rapper Hi-Tek. Following that of course was his solo debut Quality in 2002. My favorite from him. Well 11 years later, here he is with his fifth album Prisoner Of Conscious. I thought overall this album was great. Loved it. I could probably put this at number three behind Quality and Train Of Thought. Now before I begin to give my pros and cons with the album I want to address the concept I see in it. The title of the album is very interesting. Being a prisoner of conscious could mean many different things (some of which are quoted by poets in the album booklet). It all depends on your interpretation of it. In my opinion, it's basically being imprisoned in your mind, thoughts, beliefs and dreams and being too insecure or afraid to share these things with the general public. On the album, I believe Kweli is sharing a lot of what's going on in his mind that he hasn't shared before. In an attempt to show it's not all just about being conscious. Even though Kweli is known not to shy away from speaking his mind at anytime. That said, here's what I enjoyed on the album. The overall production was neutral. Decent for the most part. You had your east coast style beats, your soulful and jazzy beats, and a few uptempo ones. "Rocket Ships" would have to be my favorite track on the album. The beat was beautifully don't by The RZA and sounds like vintage Wu-Tang styled beats. The songs features what is probably the best guest verse from Busta Rhymes I've ever heard in my life. The lyrical intensity and energy he brought to this fantastic track was amazing. The track  "Push Thru" was more mellow and smoother. It features two guest verses from Curren$y and Kendrick Lamar. Kendrick was good, Curren$y not so much. Still a cool song nonetheless. "Turnt Up" immediately had me scared. When I saw that title and thought about how that's the radio and clubs favorite saying now, I was praying that Kweli would not make a dumbed down radio attempt. Thank God that it wasn't. What it was was a throwback. An old school sounding track that samples Rakim's classic "Paid In Full". Loved the sample and the song. On "High Life" he goes back and forth with bars between him and Rubix. I thought that was dope as well. "Hamster Wheel" was interesting. Here he's speaking on a trouble young black woman stuck in these tough situations like being a single mom, troubles finding work, messing around with guys that eventually play her, mixed up priorities etc. Basically how she runs the streets doing this and that but is getting nowhere in life. Running in place basically. Stuck on the "hamster wheel". Good song. He teams with Melanie Fiona on "Ready Set Go". A more uptempo beat that sound like it has single potential. I liked this one a lot. "Upper Echelon" was the only song, production wise, that sounds like what's poppin' in hip hop today. But it wasn't bad at all. Talib Kweli with some bass banging trunk music how bout that. "Before He Walked" really caught me by surprise. This was a more emotional song speaking on the passion he has for this music. I love Abby Dobson's hook and even Nelly's verse wasn't bad. "Hold It Now", "Delicate Flowers" and "Human Mic" are all great tunes as well. My cons for this album are very minimal. The two songs for the ladies. The first was the single "Come Here". The song itself isn't really that bad but it's probably the poorest hook Miguel has done yet and he's usually good with those. "Favela Love" was a little weird for me. It might just be because of the hook by Seu Jorge. I guess because he was speaking another language and it was hard to understand what he was saying. I may Google Translate the lyrics later but overall this song will just have to grow on me. The last track "It Only Gets Better" I actually liked after a few listens, my problem is Kweli's flow on this. He sounds like the same guy that produced the track...J. Cole. Right now this doesn't sit well with me but I might get over it later. Overall, this album was great. Flat out enjoyed it. The lyrics, the concept, production even the collaborations we're well done. I give it a final grade of a B+. No matter what you may define as conscious hip hop, it is clear that even in the age of clubby dance rap, conscious hip hop is still alive and strong. With Talib Kweli and others like him still around, it will remain that way. End.



Final Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment