Sunday, May 12, 2013

Logic - Young Sinatra: Welcome To Forever MIXTAPE REVIEW





There is certainly no denying that today in hip hop, the mixtape game does wonders for new artists. Today's most popular names in hip hop (too many to name) all started successfully in the mixtape game which launched them into immediate stardom. With the amount of hype and buzz generated around Logic, he most certainly is next. Having released a mixtape every year since 2010, the fan base and popularity that Logic has gained is to me quite amazing. Simply because I had just found out about him in the middle of last year. Right around the time he released his third mixtape Young Sinatra: Undeniable. His popularity was even enough to land him on this year's XXL Freshman list and also inking him a deal with Def Jam. On top of all of this, I was also surprised to find out he's reppin' Maryland. My home state. So yeah just like the Los review, there may be some hometown bias in this review. Forgive me. Anyway, here we have his fourth mixtape Young Sinatra: Welcome To Forever. It's also the third mixtape in the Young Sinatra series. This tape was very good. I thoroughly enjoyed it. To me Logic is a perfect example of mainstream hip hop done right. Lyrically he's incredibly dope but at the same time his voice and music sound is good enough for radio. Not many super dope lyricists being played on the radio today. Although throughout this tape he sounds like a combination of both Kanye West and a more lyrically aggressive Drake. But it's not bad to the point where he's not listenable. That said, here's some stand out tracks for me. Hands down "Walk On By" is the best track on here to me. This had a vintage 90's sound where he laid down a smooth fast paced lyrical flow that sounded like a mix of Nas and Big L. It took me back for a minute. He jacks the beat to Outkast's "Ms. Jackson" for "Roll Call". I was amazed at the heartfelt lyrical execution he dropped on this. This is the type of song that would get people to take notice of this guy. I mentioned he sounded like Kanye West on a few tracks on here and most notably it was "925". I liked the song but his flow was so Kanye like that Kanye himself would be flattered. "On The Low" became cool to me after a few listens. The song features Kid Ink and Trinidad James and is one of few bass booming trunk bangers on here. If it wasn't for Logic's lyricism I probably wouldn't have liked this (especially considering who he put on the track). I love the collaboration between him and Dizzy Wright on "Young Jedi". Though I think Dizzy Wright may have out did him on this track in large part because his verse was so much longer. Great song. "Feel Good" is appropriately titled because that what it sounded like. A feel good track with a happy sing-a-long type of feel to it. It might even do good as a single. On "The High Life" he basks in the life of fame and speaks on it's joy but at the same time speaks on the bad that comes with it. A topic that has been done hundreds of times but not to this degree. "5AM", "The Come Up", and "Nasty" were also pretty good tracks. I have a couple issues with this tape. I mentioned that there were times where he not only sounded like Kanye West but sounded like Drake. No song displayed that more that "Life Is Good". On here he's singing in the exact tone and rhythm of Drake. It's so identical to the point where if someone who didn't know Logic was to hear this song they would swear it was Drake himself. For that reason alone I couldn't feel it. It continues on "Man Of The Year" which kind sounds more like 2009-2010 Drake. Like a single or something. Didn't like it though. The beat was a little plain and dull and the song had no life at all. It seems like towards the end of the tape the songs got slower and more sentimental. Kinda took away the energy the tape had going. There were a couple good songs in that stretch ("The High Life", "Common Logic/Midnight Marauder") and not so good ones ("Just A Man", "Man Of The Year"). All the songs were softer though and I didn't like how he bunched them all together at the end. Should have spread them out more. Overall, I'm very impressed with this tape. Lyrically Logic has it. No doubt about it. Production may need to get a little bit better which might happen now that he has a deal. I give it a final grade of a B+. After listening to this I can see why Logic has all this hype surrounding him. It makes me happy to see that finally lyrical hip hop is starting to become relevant again. As a fellow Maryland'er I'll continue to show hometown love and support to Logic. Do you thing and make us proud. End.



Final Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment