Friday, September 13, 2013

2 Chainz - B.O.A.T.S. II: #MeTime ALBUM REVIEW





If all it took, this whole time, was a simple name change to gain instant popularity then 2 Chainz probably would have done it a long time ago. Formerly known as Tity Boi, his new found fame makes it hard for most people to believe he's been doing this for little over a decade. Though he has had a bit of success and been apart of a couple of hits in the past (like Playaz Circle "Duffle Bag Boy" for example), it was clear that 2 Chainz had the style and presence to be better off as a solo act. Last year showed just how true that is as he probably had the biggest year of any rapper. Now let's see if the sophomore slump comes into play here on his second album Based On A T.R.U. Story II: #MeTime. Before I begin I gotta get this out of the way. Obviously, 2 Chainz is in no way, shape or form a lyricist. In fact, some would argue he has the worst lyrics in rap today. Most of his rhymes are so lame to the point where I actually find it hilarious and amusing. Which is why I say 2 Chainz is the one artist in hip hop today that I consider a guilty pleasure for me. Despite his atrocious lyrics and generic song content, I actually get a lot of enjoyment out of his music. It's entertaining to listen to his terrible yet funny rhymes. Now his last album, his debut Based On A T.R.U. Story, was just barely average for me. Again it was poor lyrically and most of the production was repetitive and generic. I figured much wouldn't change in the lyrics department but I had hoped this time around he changed something production and content wise. Turns out he did...a little bit. For me this album was just a slight bit better than last year's debut. He definitely stepped it up production wise. The beats are trap beats mostly but they sound more menacing and orchestral. Lots of organ, bells and guitar assisted beats. Lyrics wise I already spoke on and it should be obvious. However, this time around a lot of his lyrics were more toned down from over the top ridiculous to just simply shaking your head and chuckling ridiculous (for fun anyway, I listed some notable silly lines from the album below this review). Well now let's begin with what I did like. I already mentioned the production on here was much better and by far my favorite production and song on here was "Black Unicorn". This song stood out for so many good reasons. It has this very soulful heavy violin assisted beat that brings the true emotion out of the song. Chrisette Michelle delivers an incredible spoken word poetic verse in the beginning and brings a very soothing and soulful hook singing. The song is then followed by a very heartwarming singing verse from a young child (Sunni Anderson I'm guessing?). This was definitely the stand out track for me. Believe it or not, I actually like the single "Feds Watching". The hook is catchy (which is the case for many songs on here) and the beat has this island/paradise feel to it. Especially with the drums in the beginning. Well done by Pharrell. Of the many songs with trap beats, the best was "U Da Realest". I love how the bass is much deeper in this track than the other trap produced songs. Originally I thought this was a dedication to a friend or something but after a few listens that wasn't the case. He's calling himself the realest. He's quite full of himself throughout this whole album. "Beautiful Pain" has a chance to grow on me. I actually thought 2 Chainz best flow came on this song. It wasn't bad. Honestly. Lloyd was okay on here but I wasn't feeling Mase on it though. In fact I don't think the song needed him. It's hard trying to take 2 Chainz serious when he tries to rap about something deep like this track but this one might grow on me. "I Do It" is the second single that features Drake and Lil Wayne. I actually found this one to be not bad too. The beat was very uptempo and reminded me a bit of Young Jeezy's "Who Dat". Drake verse was okay and believe it or not, for the first time in a while Lil Wayne was actually tolerable to listen to this time. I even like how Drake's verse merges into Lil Wayne's forming one whole verse. It's a okay song but I'm sure I'll hate it later down the road after the radio plays it to death. Now...the dislikes. No matter how much I tried to force myself to like it, I could not get with the last track "Outroduction". Just like on "Beautiful Pain", it is extremely hard to take 2 Chainz serious when he's trying to be deep and introspective. I'm so used to him rapping like a cornball about a bunch of nonsense. He tried to deliver a message talking about how he gets profiled more now than he did when he was hustling. If this came from someone else I could relate but when it comes from 2 Chainz it's just not that moving at all. "Used 2" was just all kinds of wrong. Here he channels his inner Juvenile, rapping like him, and does it horribly (the flow he had on "Back That Ass Up" when he ended every line with "yeah". 2 Chainz did the same thing.). The irony of it all is that Mannie Fresh produced the track and gave it that vintage late 90's Hot Boys/Cash Money sound. Even though the beat was good, it wasn't enough to save this song thanks to 2 Chainz terrible Juvenile impression. Then there's the song "Netflix" which even before playing I suspected would be coonery. He raps about the joy of making a sex tape and putting it on Netflix. I couldn't do nothing but laugh when I heard that hook. Surprisingly Fergie is on this track and that's something else I didn't agree. Nothing against her but I'm honestly surprised he didn't get Nicki Minaj for this track. This seems like something right up her alley. But whatever. This wasn't a good song for me. All the ratchets and strippers will rejoice over the track "Mainstream Ratchet". Well I'm neither and I didn't enjoy this at all. Apparently he thinks ratchetness going mainstream is a good thing. It's not. The strip clubs will love it but I can do without it. Overall this album was just average. An upgrade in production but same silly lyrics. Not too crazy though. I give it a final grade of a C. It seems to me no other rapper in hip hop is having more fun than 2 Chainz. You can tell through his music. Even when he spits his not so lyrical lyrics it sometimes sounds like he purposely does it for fun. That's the one thing about him that makes a part of me a fan. The entertainment he brings. You'll shake your head to his lyrics but no matter what you'll be laughing and will be entertained. That's guaranteed. Truuuu! End.



Final Grade: C



Notable hilarious lyrics
"I got Medusa on my sneakers/my dick up like nice to meet ya"
"I drink red bitches I don't drink redbulls"
"Yo lyin ass/codine in my wine glass/I know you had a wild past/I ain't fuck you in a while with your wild ass"
"I'm working this iPhone they need an app called iTrap"
"Bust a nut on a tell her that's a load off"
"I'm rich like Lionel/I get head like Rhino"
"I'ma kill the pussy, pallbearer"
"Shawty on my dic-a/backwards spells acid"
"Dirty ass niggas we'll sell you a key of soap"
"Crib so big a dinosaur could run through that shit/I'm a shark and you're a tuna fish"




No comments:

Post a Comment